Removal of snow and ice are the responsibility of the Public Works Department. Other operations become secondary to snow removal during and immediately after a winter storm. It is the policy of the Howards Grove Village Board that:
- All Class II and Class III (see below) be passable during normal work hours while the storm in continuing.
- All Class II, Class III, and Class IV streets be open to travel (two lanes) within 24 hours after the storm ends.
- All Class II & Class III be plowed curb to curb and begin to show bare pavement within 36 hours after the storm ends. Class IV roads will be plowed, but may remain snow covered for a longer period of time.
The following road classifications (per the Wisconsin Dept. of Transportation) exist within the Village:
- Class II - State Highways, 1000-5000 vehicles per day
State Hwy. 32 (N. & S. Wisconsin Dr, Madison Ave)
State Hwy. 42 (N. Wisconsin Dr, Madison Ave)
- Class III - County Highways & Collector Streets, under 1000 vehicles per day
County Road A (College Ave)
County Road JJ (Millersville Ave)
Collector Streets (Whittier, S. Lincoln, Stonebridge, Audubon,
Frost, Oriole, Roosevelt, Kennedy, Tyler, and N. River Parkway)
- Class IV - Residential, local traffic only
All other streets within the Village
The following considerations are utilized by the Public Works Department in planning for snow removal:
- Snowfall accumulations of up to 2" (depending on other weather
conditions) are generally not plowed, or are handled with intermittent
plowing or salting.
- Snowplowing operations do not begin unless snowfall measures
more than 2" and snow is continuing to fall, and/or weather forecasts
call for additional accumulation and drifting conditions exist or are
- Snowplow operators are instructed to plow as close to the curb
as possible with a minimum of passes without damaging property within
the street right-of-way. Street right-of-way is generally 10-12 feet
behind the curb.